20.4.09

I Dreamed A Dream - Les Miserables


I'm not jumping into the bandwagon of commenting to Susan Boyle's angelic voice in Britian's Got Talent 2009. She had an amazing voice as everybody was sceptic about her extraordinary performance that gave everybody a 'rude' wake-up call of not judging book by the cover. At the same time, there are people who are commenting who sang better where they compare Susan with those are professionals such as Lea (who performed in Miss Saigon-that's another story).

In my humble opinion, this is indeed a very big song and coming from a huge West End production and rich story written by Victor Hugo. I had watched this personally and felt that it was my privilege to watch such a spectacular performance.
The song Susan Boyle sang was from the production of Les Miserables (Les Mis, for short) and the story setting was in the early 19th century when France was still in internal chaos and turmoil.
This musical / story evokes the emotions of humans and their will to survive despite of the circumstances that they are facing. I'm emotional whenever I listen to the songs from this musical, no doubt.
As for the author, Victor Hugo was definitely a forward looking man and what he had written a long time ago still reflects in modern age. It was unbelievable.Besides Les Miserables, Mr Hugo also written the Hunchback of Notre Dame. (For more information on Les Mis, Victor Hugo, etc- pls research online. Coz I will not touch indepth on this.)
What SusanBoyle is facing is similar to Fantine (character from Les Mis) in terms of both are facing obstacles in life and it does not deter them from dreaming.
With here, I will leave the lyrics of I Dreamed a Dream for you to ponder on your lofty dreams. Ciao!
(PS. this is not the only song that evokes emotions. The other song that I like from this musical is Do you hear the people sing?)
I Dreamt A Dream
There was a time, when men were kind
And their voices were soft
And their words were inviting
There was a time, when love was blind
And the world was a song
And the song was exciting
There was a time it all went wrong

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high and life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving
Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung, no wine untasted

But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they turn your hope apart
As they turn your dreams to shame

He slept a summer by my side
He filled my dreams with endless wonder
He took my childhood in his stride
But he was gone when autumn came

And still I dream he'd come to me
That we would live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather
I had a dream my life would be
So different from the hell I'm living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed

No comments: